Welcome to the page of Katabasis Freediving and Sailing, an amateur sports association founded by Carlo Boscia in 2005 and based in Baratti, Tuscany (Italy). We are a school and training centre that has chosen SSI Freediving, DAN and UISP for its educational activities.
We organize courses and seminars in freediving, spearfishing and sailing, as well as cruises and sports trips in Italy and around the world. Love and respect for the sea are values that we aim to transmit to our students and members during our activities, targeting adults, children, beginners and athletes.
We are also active in the social sphere, in team building and in the world of education, using sport and the sea as great resources for a better lifestyle.
FOUNDER, TRAINER AND SKIPPER
Carlo began his teaching career in 1991 as a sailing instructor and in the autumn of 1994 made the Atlantic crossing. In the meantime he became a scuba diving instructor and finally began teaching freediving in 2004. In 2005 he founded Katabasis, the first freediving center in Italy, where in addition to holding freediving courses and training, he organizes events with the most prestigious names in national and international freediving, creating his own teaching style over the years.
FREEDIVING INSTRUCTOR, SPEARFISHER
His curiosity and desire to learn new things always lead him back to what he considers to be his greatest teacher: the sea. He teaches freediving and has a deep love for spearfishing, sailing and maritime culture. He says that his greatest sporting success was ‘the time a child thought I was a fish’.
From the world of show business to that of freediving, passing through the love of all that gives sensations. A great cook and travel lover, he met Katabasis a few years ago and soon became an essential element for his friendliness and professionalism. Learning freediving with him will be a real pleasure!
Spiritual guide of Katabasis, the only specimen of “Elban Plutiode with Satin Hair”, thief by vocation, bastard inside, in 2012 he obtained the “Pool Freediver” certification… don’t you believe us?
The Amateur Sports Association
KATABASIS is affiliated with UISP, SSI Freediving and registered with CONI. Thanks to the willingness and organisation of its volunteer members, the Association aims to spread and develop the “Culture of the Sea” and all activities related to it, focusing on the psycho-physical well-being of the person in full harmony with the environmental, social and cultural context. In particular with the following objectives
- to organise sporting events directly or to cooperate with others for their realisation, to promote educational activities for the initiation, updating and improvement of sporting activities, to study, promote and develop new methodologies to improve the organisation and practice of sport, to organise sports teams for participation in championships, competitions, events and initiatives in various disciplines
- hold introductory sports courses and training and qualification courses for sports operators, involve young people and adults in the knowledge of the sea and the above-mentioned activities
- encourage the growth and development of the person, with particular regard to the psycho-physical wellbeing of the individual and his or her full realisation,
- pay particular attention to those suffering from physical and social disadvantage
- to develop the resources and typical features of the territory through initiatives that favour social development and enhancement of the cultural heritage, to operate by promoting environmental protection and raising awareness of the sustainable use of nature’s resources, to support and promote forms of regional, national and international cooperation.
In order to achieve its aims, the Association operates by carrying out events, training, publishing, study and research projects and any other activity related and similar to the purposes set by this Statute and within the limits allowed by the laws in force.
Katabasis is strongly committed to the dissemination of sailing and freediving in the world of sport, school and discomfort, with particular reference to the social one. Courses, internships or simple sailing and/or freediving experiences are offered to school children, therapeutic communities, prisons and associations that work closely with social services.
As part of its activities, Katabasis organises for its members
- Organising sailing and freediving courses, sports holidays and activities in the social sector in Italy, Europe and the world.
- Meetings, conventions and seminars for research and study on topics related to the sea. The topics are strongly oriented towards environmental and social issues, while there is ample space for in-depth studies in the field of didactics of the various activities carried out
- Courses aimed at qualifying the intervention of those working in the amateur sports sector with reference to the disciplines of boating and freediving.
- Events that are also simple opportunities for members to meet each other, healthy competitive events and to raise awareness of sea culture.
There are also significant social implications, with activities aimed at young people in general and all forms of hardship, focusing above all on prevention. To find out more click here and read the association’s statute. If you want to meet us in person, contact us by phone at 3201704333 or by e-mail at email@example.com. The activity of Katabasis A.S.D. is carried out with the contribution of its members, who promote the interventions and take care of their implementation. A fundamental role is played by the President and Councillors, as well as sports instructors or educators, but the association lives thanks to the enthusiasm, ideas and proposals of all our members.
If you would like to contact the members of the board, please write to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Do you share the aims of the association and want to become a member? Ask for the membership application form, fill it in and submit it to the association: we will be happy to welcome you in our association!